About Make-A-Wish®In this section: Our History • Global Statistics
Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses.
To grant the wish of every eligible child.
Integrity, Child-focused, Impact, Community and Innovation.
I wish to be a police officer
ChrisWish granted, 1980leukemia
Founded in Phoenix, Arizona in 1980, when a group of caring volunteers helped a young boy fulfill his dream of becoming a police officer, Make-A-Wish is one of the world's leading children's charities.
After the start of Make-A-Wish in the United States, interest in granting the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions quickly spread to other nations. In 1993, Make-A-Wish International was officially formed and now helps to serve children outside the United States in more than 50 countries on five continents through its 41 affiliates.
Make-A-Wish America grants the wishes of children in the United States through its 62 chapters. With the help of generous donors and over 40,000 volunteers, Make-A-Wish has collectively granted approximately nearly 450,000 wishes worldwide since 1980.
- Nearly 450,000 life-changing wishes granted worldwide since 1980.
- A wish is granted every 17 minutes, on average, somewhere in the world.
- Granting wishes for children with critical illnesses in more than 50 countries
- Make-A-Wish® granted 30,000+ wishes globally in 2017 alone
- 40,000+ volunteers help us grant thousands of wishes each year around the world